The Standards and Metrology Institute for the Islamic Countries (SMIIC), as a sound mechanism for harmonization of standards among the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation(OIC) countries and for preparation of new ones, aims at realizing harmonized standards in the Member States and eliminating technical barriers to trade and thus developing the trade among themselves. It shall establish certification and accreditation schemes for the purpose of expediting exchange of materials, manufactured goods and products among Member States beginning with mutual recognition of certificates.
The SMIIC also aims at achieving uniformity in metrology, laboratory testing and standardization activities among Member States and ensuring education and training and providing technical assistance to the OIC Members in the domain of standardization and metrology. Hence, the Institute may cooperate with other regional and international organisations interested partially or wholly in standardisation, metrology or related activities.
To develop harmonized standards and other relevant specific standards through voluntary standardization process to expedite exchange of goods and services among member bodies/states targeting the uniformity in metrology and laboratory services, standardization, certification and accreditation activities supporting sustainable economic growth, within the frame of protection health, environment, promoting innovation and ensuring safety issues.
To become a leading actor by making key contribution to the economic improvements and to the welfare of its member bodies/states by means of establishing quality infrastructure and high quality standards.
- To endeavor to realize OIC/SMIIC standards in Member States and to eliminate any factor relating to the standards covering products, processes and systems, likely to affect adversely the trade among Member States.
- To prepare OIC/SMIIC Standards aiming at enabling the Member States to reap a maximum benefit from the economic advantages to be brought about by the standards.
- To establish a conformity assessment scheme for the purpose of expediting exchange of materials, manufactured goods and products among Member States, beginning with mutual recognition.
- To achieve uniformity in metrology, laboratory testing and standardization activities among Member States.
- To supply to the Member States; through cost sharing system, calibration and metrology services which necessitate large investments and expenditures.
- To provide education and training for the Member States personnel in the domain of standardization and metrology by making most efficient use of existing means and sharing accumulated information and experience.
- To provide documentation and information services in connection with standards and issues related to the needs of the Member States in this field.
- To provide technical assistance to the OIC Member States which do not possess such standardization bodies with the view of enabling them to establish their own standardization body.